Grade 3 students got the chance to start the “Caring School Community” project. They started up with team-building activities to get to know one another and build a classroom community where everyone feels safe and comfortable. They created two circles, an inside circle and an outside circle. An inside circle facing out and an outside circle facing in, to meet and talk with different partners. Every student was facing a student in the other circle. On the teacher’s clap, the students will hear a question they have to ask to their partner and on the second clap, the students in the inside circle will step one student to the right so they’d have a new partner. The students asked each other many questions such as:
- What is something fun you did over the summer?
- Who are the people in your family?
- What is one special thing you learned this year?
- What are the problems you face in the playground? And how would you solve them?
- What are the things you’d like to change in your class?
- How do you like to study?
After they finished asking questions, some volunteers shared something they learned about a classmate. Then the teacher helped them connect their experience to those of others.